Hodgson Law Office
Get A free initial consultation
800-732-4698 509-720-8991


Newly divorced face filing change in upcoming tax season

Separately, the topics of taxes and divorce make most people cringe. The combination of the two may drive some to pull their hair out. With tax season peaking its hungry head just around the corner, recently divorced Spokane residents may be faced with having to rethink and evaluate their filing of taxes, and may need to anticipate how the effects of being newly divorced may affect their filing.

In particular, adhering to a few simple steps may help you to avoid paying higher taxes, and unnecessary penalties. To begin, it will be important to pick the correct federal filing status, this will be determined whether you were single or married on the December 31, 2012. Determining this first step can impact the remaining choices you will make, including whether or not to file as head of household, or married filing jointly or separately. In addition, the IRS has a publication listed "504" which specifically answers questions and addresses newly divorced or separated individuals.

If you were divorced in 2012, it is important that your name on your tax return and those registered with the Social Security Administration match. This may mean having to change your name if you have chosen to do so after a divorce, or contacting the SSA to reassume a maiden or previous name. It is possible if the names do not match, you may be assessed higher taxes, or your refund may be reduced.

A divorce can bring many changes to one's life, many times in areas of your life you may not think of until the issue arises. An attorney can help answer questions regarding your divorce, and help advise you on your current legal status. While a divorce may change many things, including your tax status, it also gives you the ability to begin a new and fresh chapter in your life.

Source: Forbes.com, "Taxes And Divorce: 6 Tips For Women," Kerry Hannon, March 7, 2013

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact My Firm

I look forward to meeting with you and discussing your specific issues. Schedule a free consultation by calling
509-720-8991 or toll-free at 800-732-4698 or fill out my online form below.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Review Us