Hodgson Law Office
Get A free initial consultation
800-732-4698 509-720-8991


Modification of child support may ensure timely payments

For divorced couples with children in Washington State, one parent has to live apart from their children, with only visitation rights. One parent may pay child support, while the other gets physical custody. Both parents will try hard to ensure that the child's upbringing is unaffected, but sometimes things do not always work out as planned. The non-custodial parent may not be able to afford child support payments or may not want to make child support payments, which may adversely affect the child.

According to a U.S. Census Bureau report, one-third of all child support dollars owed to custodial parents goes unpaid. In 2011, non-custodial parents in America owed $14.3 billion in child support.

The reason for non-payment of child support varies. Some parents want to pay child support, but may be unable due to financial hardship. They may have lost their jobs or may be finding it difficult to find work. However, others may not want to share the financial responsibility of the child's upbringing, so they just do not pay.

Whatever the reason, the penalties for non-payment are the same. Failure to pay child support can lead to arrest, where the parent cannot earn an income in jail, and an arrest record may make it even harder to find employment.

If a parent's financial circumstance changes, applying for modifications of child support may be the best option when faced with financial hardships, which affect the ability to make timely child support payments. Consulting a legal professional with knowledge of child support laws in Washington State may be beneficial for the parent in such situations.

Source: The Herald Sun, "The amnesty dilemma," Dec. 2, 2013

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact My Firm

I look forward to meeting with you and discussing your specific issues. Schedule a free consultation by calling
509-720-8991 or toll-free at 800-732-4698 or fill out my online form below.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Review Us