Hodgson Law Office
Get A free initial consultation
800-732-4698 509-720-8991


What information is needed to end a domestic partnership in WA?

Same-sex partners in Washington State and across the country are watching closely as the perception of a domestic partnership and the legality of a marriage changes seemingly by the day. While the concept of marriage is being defined differently, it is unavoidable that many marriages will end in divorce. Understanding the state law when it comes to dissolution of a marriage whether it is same-sex partners or opposite sex partners and the legal issues therein is key to ending the union with both parties being treated fairly. The information provided is imperative.

In a petition for a dissolution of marriage or to declare the validity of the marriage, the petition must allege that the last known state of residence for both parties. In the event that the residence was in Washington State, the last known county of residence must be provided. The location and date of when the marriage took place must be noted. In the case of a domestic partnership, when and where the union was registered must also be provided.

In addition to those requirements, the petition also requires information on a variety of other topics. For example, the petition must include the date of the separation, names of dependent children or the names of the domestic partners if one is pregnant. Agreements as to the maintenance of children or of a spouse or domestic partner need to be listed. Any property that was listed as an asset for both parties or property that was separate and will be disposed of must be part of the statement. Either or both members of the marriage or domestic partnership will be able to petition with the state to end the union.

Whether a couple is together as part of a domestic partnership agreement or a marriage that is deemed "conventional" can be a confusing matter with numerous legal issues to traverse. Knowing what information is required when ending the union can help to make the process easier. Discussing the case with an attorney with experience in same-sex partners dissolving a marriage or domestic partnership can help.

Source: apps.leg.wa.gov, "RCW 26.09.20 Petition -- Dissolution of marriage or domestic partnership, legal separation, or for a declaration concerning validity of marriage or domestic partnership -- Contents -- Parties -- Certificate," accessed on June 9, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact My Firm

I look forward to meeting with you and discussing your specific issues. Schedule a free consultation by calling
509-720-8991 or toll-free at 800-732-4698 or fill out my online form below.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Review Us