Hodgson Law Office
Get A free initial consultation
800-732-4698 509-720-8991


July 2015 Archives

How does income factor in when determining child support?

Divorced or unmarried parents in Washington often get into disagreements over child support orders. Parents on the receiving end of child support might believe that they need more child support than what is ordered, because they cannot afford their cost of living. On the other hand, the paying parent might be under the impression that the monthly payments are too costly. Knowing how the state goes about determining income and payments can help the process.

Can parenting plans be changed via post-divorce modification?

When a Spokane couple divorces, the agreement that is in place to finalize the end of the marriage will often have issues that one person or the other would like to have changed. A common problem has to do with custody of children and visitation. The state has rules when it comes to dealing with situations in which post-divorce modification is sought. Many might be under the impression that these family legal issues cannot be changed, or that it is an overtly difficult process. However, it is possible in some circumstances to have the custody decision changed.

How a guardian ad litem acts in the best interests of the child

When there is a child custody issue in Spokane, Washington, the best interests of the child are of foremost importance. It is with this in mind that there might be the appointment of a guardian ad litem. Understanding what it is that the guardian ad litem does based on the law is helpful to those involved in the case. A guardian ad litem is appointed by the court to represent a child's interests. Often, the determination as to whether a guardian ad litem is needed is made by family court services.

Military same-sex couples have marriage recognized nationwide

One issue that is frequently coming to the forefront in Spokane, Washington, and throughout the nation has to do with same-sex couples and how the changes to the United States laws are affecting them. Whereas in the past, Washington State recognized a domestic partnership, other states did not follow suit in granting same-sex partners recognition of their marriages. That, however, is now different with the U.S. Supreme Court's recent decision that marriages between people of the same sex must be acknowledged across the country. For military couples, this is significant.

Terminating parent child relationship in a child custody dispute

A child custody dispute in Washington State can be an onerous process. It is even harder to navigate when there is a parent whose behaviors and history make it necessary to try and have the parent-child relationship terminated. There are times, however, when this is in the best interests of the child and emotions need to be put to the side to achieve that end. Knowing the law when seeking to terminate parental rights is imperative.

Contact My Firm

I look forward to meeting with you and discussing your specific issues. Schedule a free consultation by calling
509-720-8991 or toll-free at 800-732-4698 or fill out my online form below.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Review Us