Hodgson Law Office
Get A free initial consultation
800-732-4698 509-720-8991


What rights to visitation do grandparents have in Washington?

Grandparents of children in Washington may wonder what rights they have to visitation of their grandchildren. This question becomes especially pressing if one of the children's parents is not in the picture, but the grandparents -- the parents of the non-custodial parent -- would like to see their grandchildren. This can come up after a divorce or when the parents are otherwise separated. Like so many other legal issues, the issue of grandparents' rights is complicated.

Washington has a state statute that gives grandparents visitation rights in divorce or separation case, if it is in the best interests of the children. But, this statute was invalidated by the Washington Supreme Court in a case based on a U.S. Supreme Court decision.

The U.S. Supreme Court decided that grandparents' rights are trumped by the fundamental constitutional right of parents to autonomy in their child-rearing decisions. In order for grandparents to get a court to order visitation in many cases, they must show that there would be harm to the child if visitation were not ordered. But, this is usually difficult to do.

Nonetheless, what if a court has already granted visitation rights to grandparents? This is a less difficult situation because people are expected to comply with a lawful court order. If a grandparent finds that their court-ordered visitation rights are not being respected by a parent or other family member, they have the right to petition a court to force compliance with the court order.

This is a very general summary of a very complex area of law. It is meant only to provide a general overview. Grandparents who would like more specific information about their rights and responsibilities have the option of discussing their situation with a family law attorney.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact My Firm

I look forward to meeting with you and discussing your specific issues. Schedule a free consultation by calling
509-720-8991 or toll-free at 800-732-4698 or fill out my online form below.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Review Us