Hodgson Law Office
Get A free initial consultation
800-732-4698 509-720-8991


Alimony and child support have different tax consequences

When the members of a family live together and the parents of the family work and earn incomes, generally the money they bring in is pooled together for the support and maintenance of everyone in the household. However, when parents separate or divorce and divide their incomes to support two different households, the financial maintenance of the family's members can become more subject to change. In Washington and other American jurisdictions, courts can assign some parties to pay child support and spousal support, also called alimony, for the care of those individuals who no longer live in the payers' homes.

How those payments are classified can make a big impact, though, on whether they are tax deductible for the paying party. For example, alimony or spousal support can be tax deductible for the paying party and included in the income of the recipient if it is for cash or a cash equivalent, given pursuant to a divorce order or agreement, paid to one's ex and meets several other criteria.

Child support, however, is never tax deductible. Parents have an obligation to financially support their children, and child support is therefore a necessary transaction to ensure that the kids' needs are met. Parents may seek to have their child support obligations terminated, though, if their children reach adulthood or otherwise qualify to have their support cut off.

As with all transactions related to family law matters readers are encourage to keep records of the child and spousal support payments they make and receive. Those records can be very useful if disputes ever arise regarding nonpayment or noncompliance with the terms of a family law order. Additional questions regarding these and other divorce-related topics should be raised with readers' family law attorneys.

Source: marketwatch.com, "How to make your alimony payments tax-deductible," Bill Bischoff, Aug. 15, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact My Firm

I look forward to meeting with you and discussing your specific issues. Schedule a free consultation by calling
509-720-8991 or toll-free at 800-732-4698 or fill out my online form below.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Review Us