Hodgson Law Office
Get A free initial consultation
800-732-4698 509-720-8991


So, your child wants to live with the other parent: 3 tips

A divorce is hard on a family when it's taking place, and it's potentially difficult for families later on, long after the paperwork is filed. When children are involved, divorce quickly becomes complex and has the potential to have complications into the future.

One of the problematic things that you could run into is if your child wants to change where he or she lives. It might be devastating to you, as a parent, if your son decides that he wants to live with his mother or if your daughter wants to live with her father. Whatever the situation is in your case, there are a few things you should know about your child's decision to change residency.

What should you remember about your custody arrangements?

First, remember that you're in charge of the situation, and while your child may want to change residencies, there is a reason why the custody arrangement is set up how it is. One thing you can do to talk to your child about this situation is to encourage him or her to explain why he or she wants to move. Listen to the reasoning before you say yes or no.

When you talk about making an important decision that involves your children, they need to understand the impact of that decision. Be empathetic to their wants or needs, but talk to them about why the situation is how it is. You can bring your ex-spouse into the conversation if he or she is in agreement with you or even if your ex would like more time with your children.

Create a conflict-free situation where you can talk freely about the possibility of changing visitation or scheduling times. Talk about the impact of changing custody, and be open about what the changes will mean for your children.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact My Firm

I look forward to meeting with you and discussing your specific issues. Schedule a free consultation by calling
509-720-8991 or toll-free at 800-732-4698 or fill out my online form below.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Review Us