Hodgson Law Office
Get A free initial consultation
800-732-4698 509-720-8991


November 2017 Archives

Where do I file a military divorce?

In a standard civilian divorce, the case is filed with the court in the county where the married couple last lived. If the filer, as well as the spouse, have moved out of that county, then the case can be filed in the county in which the filer currently resides. Regarding the state of filing, a civilian divorce case should be filed in the state in which a married couple resided for at least six months of the preceding year. However, these rules are different in a military divorce.

Same-sex marriages create a demand for same-sex divorces

Obtaining the federal right to same-sex marriage was a massive step toward equal civil rights for the LGBTQIA community. In fact, it may represent the biggest national win for same-sex couples to date. For many long-term couples, the right to marry and have that union recognized in any state was a massive advance.

Can stepparents obtain child custody rights in Washington?

It may be rare that a stepparent is awarded custodial rights in any state, including here in Washington. However, it does happen under extenuating circumstances. The State of Washington recognizes what is termed a "de facto" relationship and has, since an important Supreme Court ruling in 2004, awarded custody to the party or parties which would serve the best interests of the child, regardless of biological or psychological relationship

What can you do when your ex denies your visitation time?

For many parents, the hardest thing about going through a divorce is having reduced time with their children. When your spouse has custody during the divorce, he or she could refuse to allow you reasonable visitation or parenting time. That can leave you feeling isolated and angry. Thankfully, state law in Washington protects your rights as a parent, including your right to a relationship with your children.

Contact My Firm

I look forward to meeting with you and discussing your specific issues. Schedule a free consultation by calling
509-720-8991 or toll-free at 800-732-4698 or fill out my online form below.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Review Us