Hodgson Law Office
Get A free initial consultation
800-732-4698 509-720-8991


Modifications of custody could help your child (and you)

There may come a time when you begin to have trouble with the custody plan you set up during your divorce. It might be that the other parent is starting to interfere with your right to custody, or it could be that your child has decided to make transitions extremely difficult each time you switch their care.

As a responsible parent, you know that the best thing you can do in this situation is to make it as simple as possible for your child. You want to reduce the likelihood of conflict and to stop any risk of losing time with your child due to the other parent's actions.

What can you do to make child custody transitions smoother?

If your child is struggling with transitions between households, there is likely something bigger at play than simply not wanting to ride in the car. For instance, if the other home is two or three hours away, it could be homesickness or anger about missing events with friends at home that makes your child lash out. You should, of course, also discuss if there is a better way to set up custody. If you can reduce the number of transitions, then that could help your child exponentially.

Talk about transitions with your ex-spouse to find out if they have the same issue. If not, then that draws questions about why your child doesn't want to see them or go to that house. It could be as simple as not liking a new family member or something much more serious.

What should you do if your ex-spouse is trying to obstruct your right to see your child?

If you are having trouble taking custody of your child on scheduled dates due to your ex-spouse's actions, this is something to document. Discuss with them the importance of being on time or making sure your child is ready for transitions of custody. If they actually stop you from seeing your child, this form of interference is likely illegal. Custody arrangements are court-ordered, so not allowing you to see your child in accordance with the arrangements and parenting plan is not legal.

Any time you feel that the custody situation you have is getting out of hand or no longer works for your child, it's possible to seek a modification. The right changes could make things better for everyone involved and help reduce conflict overall.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact My Firm

I look forward to meeting with you and discussing your specific issues. Schedule a free consultation by calling
509-720-8991 or toll-free at 800-732-4698 or fill out my online form below.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Review Us