Hodgson Law Office
Get A free initial consultation
800-732-4698 509-720-8991


Posts tagged "divorce"

What options are available for missed child support payments?

Having a child is more than an emotional commitment: it is a financial commitment as well. From making sure that a child has a safe place to call home to keeping them fed and adequately clothed for their surroundings can force a Washington parent to cut back on their savings as they invest more into the health and happiness of their child. Most parents relish in being able to take care of their families, but for custodial parents who are dependent on support payments, getting by when money is lean can be tough.

Support for ending your same-sex divorce

Since the United States Supreme Court's 2015 ruling in Obergefell v. Hodges, same-sex couples in the United States have been granted the right to have their marriages recognized in every state in the nation. Prior to the Obergefell decision, a same-sex Washington couple may find that their union was not considered valid if they traveled to a state where same-sex marriages were not recognized.

Changes to tax laws will impact how alimony is treated

Paying alimony can be a cumbersome undertaking for someone who is trying to start their life over after ending their marriage. In Washington and other states throughout the country, payers of alimony have been allowed to deduct the money that they pay to their former spouse from their taxable income and therefore lower the amount of money that they must pay in taxes each and every year. However, in 2018 the federal government passed a huge overhaul of the tax system, and part of that overhaul addressed how alimony payments will be dealt with in the future.

How can virtual visitation foster my relationship with my child?

Giving up time with one's child can be the most difficult part of a divorce for a Washington parent. After spending years of their child's life in the same home with them a parent can feel as though a part of their heart is missing when they must live in a place where their child does not reside. When a parent is not granted physical custody rights and does not have the responsibility of meeting their child's day-to-day needs, they may be able to secure visitation rights with them to protect their important relationship.

Generational differences affect divorce rates

In generations past it was not uncommon for young Washington residents to head down the aisle toward marriage when they were in their late teens and early twenties. There were many reasons for this phenomenon, including the historic position of women as dependent upon their husbands for financial support and the higher rate of young people entering the workforce instead of pursuing their educations after high school. Now, however, young people have a world of options in front of them when they leave secondary school and are choosing to marry later in life.

A parent's conduct may affect their custody and visitation rights

Like parents, courts that hear family law cases want what is best for the children whose lives are affected by the courts' decisions. In Washington, courts attempt to ascertain the child's best interests before they make orders regarding the custody and support of those youths. Many factors including the children's preferences, the parents' availability and any special familial needs will be factored into the decision-making process.

Legal separation is an option for Washington couples

For many individuals who wish to end their marriages, divorce is the clearest and most obvious choice. A divorce severs the binds that a marriage creates and permits once-married individuals to return to their single statuses and live without the commitments to their former partners. However, not all individuals who want to end their marriages choose to pursue divorce.

How will community property laws affect my divorce?

Washington is a community property state. This means that any property that is considered marital will, in most instances, be split evenly between the two parties to a divorce. Therefore, it is important that readers understand what the state considers to be marital property in order to understand how the community property laws of the jurisdiction will impact their divorces.

What to include in a Washington child support agreement

Parents may elect to allow their divorce courts to establish the parameters of their child support obligations, but they may also choose to create their own agreements regarding this important topic. Though courts generally must approve the child support agreements that parents make, parents can smooth this process over by including in their agreements the necessary terms that will bind them. All readers are asked to discuss how child support will be addressed in their legal cases with their attorneys; this post will briefly review some of the elements that child support agreements should cover.

How will my prenup influence the outcome of my divorce?

A prenuptial agreement is a contract that two people may draft and execute prior to their marriage. In it they may make certain decisions about how they will categorize certain items of property, what financial obligations they will be bound to if they divorce, and what responsibilities each will have during the tenure of their marital relationship. In Washington and other states throughout the country, prenuptial agreements can be invalidated if they were created through force, duress or otherwise compelled by one of the parties to the detriment of the other.

Contact My Firm

I look forward to meeting with you and discussing your specific issues. Schedule a free consultation by calling
509-720-8991 or toll-free at 800-732-4698 or fill out my online form below.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Review Us